Subject: Re: [lojban] Siver threads among the mold

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:57:45

la pycyn cusku di'e

>Interestingly, we cannot say in English "She believes who the murderer is" 
>in
>the same sense that we can say "know". I expect we can say this in Lojban 
>in
>the same way.

Right: ko'a krici le du'u makau pu catra
She has a belief as to who the murderer is.

>But we can say things like "She believes what she hears."

Which is not an indirect question but a relative clause.

>So this superficially similar sounding piece is just {lo se
>tirna} (not the right brivla, strictly, for what is intended, but I'm not
>trying to be more than sketchy right now), not, say , {lo du'u ko'a tirna
>makau}.

Right.

>Now for the hard one, "Bob and Joe differ in how tall they are" /"in 
>height"
>Bob is 5'6", Joe is 6'5" . {la bab frica la djous le ni ... sraji 
>clano}{le
>ka ... mitre xokau leka sraji} or so. But what goes into the ...? {ce'u}?

Yes.

>{ke'a}? Do we need something else?
>I suggest (very tentatively) {ce'u}

I'm glad. I've been using it like that since {ce'u} was invented.

>and one of the bound sort that Nick seems
>to think common but that others see seldom: That is, we have a function 
>here
>that gives indirect questions (sets of propositions) with the appropriate
>name (here from {la bab} and {la djous} ) . I'm even less sure what the
>answers with {ni} look like, since I don't see where the numbers go, but...

They are hidden:

ni = ka sela'u makau

>Comments? (I don't know why I ask; I can't say "snow is white" without
>several people objecting because of the black snow in Kirghizistan in 
>1806.)

No objections from me this time, that's how I see it too.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp