Subject: Re: [lojban] Siver threads among the mold

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:41:20 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/2001 12:10:09 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> *He believes what the fuck he hears.
> *He believes why she came.
> *He believes who came.
> 

But "believes" can't tak an indirect question at all, so that doesn't help in 
this case: e.g. *He believes who the murderer is. (Note, all of these are OK 
with a certain intonation pattern, too.)

<"He sees what he likes."

a poor choice. See also means "understand", and allows an interrogative
complement in that sense.>
Maybe, but the ambiguity of "what he likes" remains even if the sense is 
restricted to "visually perceives."

<The interrogative/relative distinction is a problem only in that it confuses
some people who fail to recognize it. That is, it's a very superficial
problem.>

And so a problem for us until we are sure that we are always recognizing it. 
Since we still don't have a test for it in English, it remains possible that 
it lies behind some of the aberrant cases in trying to deal with indirect 
whatsis.