Subject: RE: [lojban] A serious but ungeneralized new attempt on Q-kau

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:38:28 +0100

pc:
> [email-masked] writes: 
> "What I have for dinner depends on what's in the fridge" 
> "What shirt I wear depends on where I'm going" 
> 
> I am not sure I understand, so much less agree with, the "explicit", or even 
> the normal, versions in this list. But I want to focus on this last case, 
> since it is pretty clearly ambiguous and I want to see whether I have sorted 
> things out aright. 

Me, I find I can't be sure I understand something unless I know how
to render it in explicit form. This also affects my reading of your
postings on Q-kau: some of what you say makes sense to me and some
is incomprehensible to me, but in each case it would be more valuable
if it were formalized. It would help me to understand the stuff I find
incomprehensible, and it would help me to see whether the things that
make sense actually guide us towards a solution.

I'm not objecting to your searching and comparatively prolix and informal 
disquisitions, but I find I can't enter intelligently into dialogue with 
them.

As for the sentences above, my sense is that they present a harder
challenge than the ones I attempted before, so if we can't yet sort
out the easier cases, it seems unlikely we can make progress on the
harder ones.

--And.