Subject: Re: [lojban] word resolution algorithm

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 05:24:57 -0400

At 07:57 AM 8/31/01 +0200, Elrond wrote:
> after a long wait, I finallly decided to lay down the issue. Have 
> a look
>at WordResolutionAlgorithm on the Wiki and please comment. I'd really like
>to learn I am wrong.
>
>regards,
>co'o mi'e rafael

It appears that a key claim on this page is this:

>To this day, the way to distinguish the words in a lojban stream of text 
>is very, very poorly documented (from a computer programmer's point of 
>view). The only rules are given in the refgram, are vague, and were never 
>proven unambiguous.

The rules, so far as I know, were NOT given in the refgram, BECAUSE they 
had not been proven. However they were stated algorithmically for a 
computer programmer's point of view in the file brkwords.txt which is in 
the software area of the lojban.org site. A corresponding Pascal program 
implements the algorithm. The algorithm was tested pretty heavily but we 
could not come up with a scheme for formally proving it.

I don't know anything about the relative virtues of the brkwords algorithm 
and whatever underlies jbofi'e.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org