Subject: Re: Women in Lojban

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 01:30:23 -0000

good points. i think you are still in england, but in the states 
there is growing support for home schooling. this type of 
arrangement would be much better for alternate education like 
lojban. i agree, sending someone to public school who's first 
language is lojban would be a disaster. if anybody tries this, it 
would be very interesting. as for it being bad for the child--i can 
think of things much worse all around the world that happen to 
children. if anything, forcing them to learn english spelling is 
what's abuse :).

--- In lojban@y..., Richard Curnow <richard@r...> wrote:
> My daughter is 15 months old, and hasn't uttered a convincing word 
of
> English yet, let along Lojban!
> 
> My son is 3 years old. I don't think I've ever had enough spoken
> fluency in Lojban to make a viable attempt at teaching it to him. 
Also,
> I'm afraid I haven't the conviction to risk turning him into the 
subject
> of a "social experiment" if it all goes horribly wrong in some 
way! I
> think it's fine for an adult to have unusual interests and to have 
to
> defend that fact amongst his/her peer group, but I don't know 
whether
> it's such a good idea to inflict unusual interests and capabilities 
on a
> pre-schooler who hasn't got any say in the matter (bullying etc 
being
> what it is.)
> 
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:46:13AM -0000, thinkit8@l... wrote:
> > 
> > i would ask, then, if you had any sons that were interested in 
> > lojban? or if anyone here has? i think richard curnow and 
lojbab 
> > have sons and daughters. would be interesting if perhaps the 
female 
> > in the same environment might take to lojban. as it is now, i 
> > unfortunately have a dim view of the weaker, stupider gender.
> > 
> 
> -- 
> R.P.Curnow,Weston-super-Mare,UK | C++: n., An octopus made by
> http://www.rrbcurnow.freeuk.com/ | nailing extra legs on a cat.