Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: Women in Lojban

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 14:26:09 +0100

craig
#>it's such a good idea to inflict unusual interests and capabilities on a
#>pre-schooler who hasn't got any say in the matter (bullying etc being
#>what it is.)
#
#But you might run into similar problems with any uncommon language - if the
#kid comes to school and greets the class first in Rromani, or Maori, or
#Farsi, would the result really be any different from lojban? In some
#cultures, I think, a child with one of those native languages might be
#bullied even more than a jbojbe - imagine a child in Eastern Europe whose
#Rromani was better than the local language, for example.

It's not the speaking of a foreign lanuuage per se; at my son's school
the majority of children aren't native speakers of English. I think what
Richard means is that any sort of eccentricity is prone to persecution
by children at a certain age. By this criterion, being middleclass, swotty,
wussy or fat count as eccentricities. 

I would teach my son about Lojban if he were interested, but I
doubt he will be; he seems too well-balanced and well-adjusted
to be susceptible to that sort of perversion.

--And.