Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: ma'a as possessive: mass or individual?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 21:59:45

la adam cusku di'e

>Pending resolution of the problem below, I think that "ro ma'a zo'u
>.ei ma'a bevri le me ma'a moi" is okay. It would take a very strained
>reading to interpret ma'a as changing referents mid-sentence like
>that.

I don't agree. I think personal pronouns, like demonstratives (ti,
ta, tu) should be evaluated afresh every time they are used, they
shouldn't be bound by a quantifier à la {da}. {le me ma'a moi}
should be "ours" independently of how {ma'a} was used before.

>Looking it up, the book on page 139 indeed says that {mi'o, mi'a,
>ma'a, do'o} are all masses, but that the other personal pro-sumti are
>ambiguous between mass and individuals. I'd like to keep the parallel
>with the other personal pro-sumti and have "mi'o" ambiguous between
>"mi joi do" and "mi .e do".

And use {piro mi'o} and {ro mi'o} to disambiguate. I can't
think of any objection at the moment.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp