Subject: Re: [lojban] Epictetus, Discourses 1.1

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 00:00:22

la nitcion cusku di'e

>You mean, I suppose, that naku is natural and na is not, right? I suspect
>so too. I'm not quite in a position to hunt down typological surveys of
>negation; And, would you have access to this sort of thing? If you're
>really keen to know, I'll see if I can't reattach to the grapevine of
>erstwhile colleagues...

Just curious. It's a mistake that almost all of us make constantly
when not being extremely careful in our use of the language. I'm
not sure I shouldn't just give up on the official meaning and start
using it consistently with just bridi-tail scope. What's the point
of forcing an unnatural usage if we can't manage to follow it even
when we try?

>Re: te mabla, te zabna
> > Your use fits neither, so what is your definition?
>
>Well, I guess it's in between. Because of the "word" implied in the gismu
>list, I take mabla and zabna to be primarily linguistic rather than mental
>activities. So their x3 is someone praising or dismissing, not someone
>thinking that something is praiseworthy or dismissable.

So to you {te mabla} and {te zabna]} are kinds of {cusku}?

I can get those as {malcusku} and {zancusku}. (ko'a cusku be
le sedu'u ko'e mabla, ko'a cusku be le sedu'u ko'e zabna). How
do you get the purely descriptive sense?

>But I think both fit Epictetus: because you will have proper Stoic
>detatchment and judgement, you will not bother cursing or flattering
>anyone --- or for that matter making emotive judgements on things other
>than as they really are (which is I assume why the x1 and x2 of mabla and
>zabna are distinct)

I take x2 to be a property of x1: {la meris cu mabla le ka mamta},
"Mary is lousy as a mother".

>Now if only someone would tell me what the Lojban for "The world is
>everything that is the case" is...

le munje cu pirosi'e loi fatci

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp