Subject: RE: [lojban] Epictetus, Discourses 1.1

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 02:57:56 +0100

Nick:
> cu'u la xorxes.
> 
> >Maybe usage will just redefine {na} as having scope over the
> >bridi-tail only. Are there other languages that have their negatives
> >work as in Lojban?
> 
> You mean, I suppose, that naku is natural and na is not, right? I suspect
> so too. I'm not quite in a position to hunt down typological surveys of
> negation; And, would you have access to this sort of thing? If you're
> really keen to know, I'll see if I can't reattach to the grapevine of
> erstwhile colleagues...

I don't know of any pertinent studies. However, many dialects of English
work in the Lojban way (hence "All that glitters is not gold"). IIRC
John or Lojbab speaks such a dialect. I don't, and that dialect, and
it's Lojban analogue, always causes me a double take.

--And.