Subject: RE: [lojban] ce'u

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:57:15 +0100

pc:
> [email-masked] writes: 
> This is indeed a matter on the philosophical end of semantics 
> rather than the grammatical end. However, if the semantics of 
> "nu" has even the most microscopic resemblance to what "event" 
> means, then a nu is something that consists of a portion of 
> spacetime. "2+2=4" does not consist of a portion of spacetime. 
>
> Oi, a problem. I aagree that 2+2 = 4 is not an event. But it 
> does seem to be a fact -- and a necessary one. So, maybe 
> facts -- in Lojban (I am less sure it ever arose in English) -- 
> are not events. Propositions? 

I gather from Lojbab in discussion in years gone by that fatci 
are propositions that are true of the local world, hence the 
absence of an "epistemology" x2 on fatci (cf. jetnu). So yes, 
2+2=4 is a fatci.

--And.