Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Mark on wiki on lerfu

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:00:48 -0400

This is cool stuff. I'd always wondered why the Book makes such a big deal out
of acronyms and yet nobody really uses them.

This is rather similar to something I was thinking recently. I believe names
are assignable (I remember someone naming variables with {goi la .ab.} and
{goi la .ac.}) and I came up with an idea to take advantage of the rule about
"la" in names. Since no pause is required before a consonant which begins a
name, and a name can be a single consonant, {la d.} can legitimately be
pronounced {lad.} (which is good, because it's rather tough to pronounce if you
_do_ put a pause before the d). So now you've got 17 assignable,
single-syllable words which you can use like {goi lab.}

Considering lerfu are also assignable, this doesn't have that much of a
benefit, except that they might be clearer because they have no default
referents. However, I now see the ko'a series (but not fo'a, which is
underappreciated) as thoroughly useless except in situations where you want
absolute clarity.

-- 
Rob Speer