Subject: RE: lo'e (was: Re: [lojban] ce'u

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:47:31 -0400

At 04:57 PM 9/7/01 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
>I don't know how su'u x1 and x2 are supposed to work, and nor do I know
>how to implement what I argued for above. However, very tentatively,
>and intuitively, I could start the ball rolling with this:
>
> tu'o si'o cinfo kei se su'u ce'u xabju le friko
>
>as a way of saying that the archetypal lion archetypally-has the
>property of living in Africa. As for "We discussed the archetypal lion",
>I don't know. Maybe
>
> mi'a simxu tu'o du'u ce'u ce'u tavla loi su'u be tu'o si'o cinfo
>
>All this is just a first stab, and there to be improved on.

Nora and I, with less than full reading of all these intertwining threads 
of abstractors seem to glorkjunkie that si'o is supposed to be the 
archetype that you are talking about above. If this is the case then lo'e 
is a manifestation of that archetype (and not the archetype itself (which 
manifestation may or may not actually exist in the real world)). We 
discuss ideas, and not manifestations of those ideas.

More specifically, while lo pavyseljirna may not exist, lo'e pavyseljirna 
is something that people draw pictures and write books about as if such 
things did exist, and those things are distinct from the ideas/ideals we 
have of them: the idea of a unicorn is not going to carry a fair maiden, 
the manifestation of that idea would do so.

Now it might still be the case that we should use something like lo'e tanxe in
mi sisku lo'e tanxe, because we probably aren't seeking properties, but 
manifestations that have the property. This is not quite what Jorge had 
in mind since it does not equate ka and lo'e, but it might clarify/correct 
what is intended when we talk about seeking a property (which if people 
recall was introduced to keep people from searching for noda when they were 
searching for lo pavyseljirna which does not exist).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org