Subject: Re: [lojban] Antelopes

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:15:26 -0400

On Monday 10 September 2001 12:32, John Cowan wrote:
> Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > I'm not sure it's wise to have a word for "antelope" since
> > it doesn't correspond to anything taxonomic.
>
> I see no problem with it. Are you so cladistic that you deny
> that a lungfish is a finpe, e.g.?

I am not cladistic; quite the contrary. And I'll put the lungfish and the 
gombessa in the jutske page one of these days. (Still haven't found a good 
common name for shark.)

As to the antelope, I have no problem using the word {antilope} for the 
blackbuck. See my message after the one you're answering (well you can't, 
it's stuck in my mailserver for some reason). And the "antelopes" in Bovinae 
could reasonably be called bajbakni. But in English "antelope" is a catchall 
term, apparently referring to any bovid that isn't a cow, sheep, or goat or a 
few others.

phma