Subject: Re: [lojban] (from lojban-beginners) pi'e

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:36:03 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2001 11:52:37 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Lojban ought to include itself in the world cultural community, and adopt
> the ISO-8601 date order, ignoring baseline issues on the grounds that the
> original decision was a mistake brought about because nobody at that time
> had thought about the subsequently resolved functional issues.
> 
> 

While that arguments has had its charms over the years, it does not alter the 
original reason for the order chosen, which was made for internal reasons 
within Lojban and quite independently of any other issues (whatever they may 
have been?). {tytypaci} or {paci} within the ccyymmdd format may or may not 
be ambiguous in context; within the Lojban rules the first is, of course, 
unneccessary and the second clearly a safe unambiguous date. We're not being 
antisocial, but we also notice that no one else is changing on some 
quasigovernmental whim either. When the Mayans take over, we'll be told that 
we should all use the uudz kale katunob -- and we probably still will use 
ddmmm(cc)yy (can't do anything about those misplaced cc's).