Subject: Re: [lojban] Overspecifying places (was: (lojban-beginners) pi'e)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:33:22 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2001 1:28:46 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Thus pc, when using /detri/, will
> assume x4 = the Gregorian calendar expressed in provincial format, while
> people who have to live with data exchange will assume x4 = the Gregorian
> calendar in ISO-8601 format.  

Gee, the only thing I can find to disagree with Carter about is the use of 
the word "provincial" for Lojban usage, which raises the usage of the ISO 
province to "universal" by implication. Of course, the implied is simply 
false: ISO is as provincial (or more so) as Lojban's usage. There is no 
universal rule here. Still, this is probably the smallest diagreement I've 
had with Carter in 25 years (I hope someone can find a smaller one.)

<More argument fodder (but maybe we've put enough time on this already):
when dealing with "the month of Caprock" or "the year of the fruit bat",
does it really make sense to "massify the unit values with /joi/"?  Does it
make sense with /pi'e/?  How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?>

I suspect just about anything that can be made MEXy (and that does seem to be 
just about anyhting) goes with {pi'e}. As to the last question, na'i.