Subject: 24hr GMT (was: (from lojban-beginners) pi'e

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:00:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> At 02:15 PM 9/14/01 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> ><I'm surprised that you specifically are expressing such negative views
> >about standards, having been embroiled in the failure of JCB to pick a
> >standard for Loglan and get it into use, and Lojban Central's decision to
> >impose a procrustean baseline for five years. There were very good reasons
> >to do that, of which I'm sure you're well aware, and similar considerations
> >apply in a lot of technical areas.>
>
> BTW. No one has mentioned one bit of the nitty gritty of this particular
> world standard, but don't most standards insist on 24 hour clock time? Do
> the world standard organizations believe that they will get the world to
> use a 24 hour clock in everyday life? (Note that at one point I tried to
> get Lojbanists to consider a 24 hour clock as an option, but the community
> outvoted me.)

Ultimately we must all adopt a 24 hour GMT clock -- a single time zone for
the whole globe. Arbitrary geographical time zones are already obsolete
for internet servers and the military, both of which cannot be bothered
with lists of offsets. As our interactions become more global and less
local (parochial), the wisdom and efficiency of such a system will become
increasingly clear. As for the 24 hour aspect, there are no sane arguments
against it.

-----
A Nationalist is a Globalist who's city has been bombed.