Subject: Re: 24hr GMT (was: (from lojban-beginners) pi'e

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:38:51 -0400

At 07:00 PM 9/14/01 -0400, Invent Yourself wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> > BTW. No one has mentioned one bit of the nitty gritty of this particular
> > world standard, but don't most standards insist on 24 hour clock time? Do
> > the world standard organizations believe that they will get the world to
> > use a 24 hour clock in everyday life? (Note that at one point I tried to
> > get Lojbanists to consider a 24 hour clock as an option, but the community
> > outvoted me.)
>
>Ultimately we must all adopt a 24 hour GMT clock -- a single time zone for
>the whole globe. Arbitrary geographical time zones are already obsolete
>for internet servers and the military, both of which cannot be bothered
>with lists of offsets. As our interactions become more global and less
>local (parochial), the wisdom and efficiency of such a system will become
>increasingly clear. As for the 24 hour aspect, there are no sane arguments
>against it.

I argued this at one point and lost (not all that many years ago). The 
community wanted 12 hour clock using decimal numbers . IIRC, I was roundly 
ridiculed even to think of teaching alternatives and "letting usage decide".

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org