Subject: Re: [lojban] (from lojban-beginners) pi'e

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:05:50 -0700 (PDT)

cu'u la pc.

>And the whole point is that we are much more likely to want to talk about
>a day in this month than a year all by itself,

??!!

You people really thought that?!

I'm speechless.

So, I'm unlikely to say I was born in 1971. I am far likelier to say I was
born on the 29th. Right.

I'm looking forward to the Lojban History of the Crusades, where
everything will be dated by default to the day of the month...

> Well, {Pavoso Renanc} isn't someone's (or something's) name for
> starters.

(a) Says who? A name's a name for anything I please. (b) If I wanted
Glorking for dates... Whatever. But even glorking is better than a broken
standard.

> The harder on is to tell that something takes place this October.

{li pi'e pano}. Next?

And btw, the only sensible thing to say about pi'e, and still keep it with
months and days (which we want to), is that it represents "parts". It
cannot be just "variable number bases". Variable number bases implies that
digit n is number base A, and digit m is number base B; not digit n is
number base A, and digit m is number base B for numbers not rhyming with
"ember", and C for numbers you can eat lobsters doing. Variable number
bases imply arithmetic that makes sense. That's not the case for {pi'e},
so let's just say the definition of {pi'e} shifted the minute it was
applied to months, and leave it at that.

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing I REJECT {gumri}
[email-masked] (Lojban Wiki, Resurrected Gismu)