Subject: Re: [lojban] (from lojban-beginners) pi'e

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:43:23 -0400

At 05:55 PM 9/15/01 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>In a message dated 9/15/2001 4:04:17 PM Central Daylight Time, 
>[email-masked] writes:
>>Don't be foolish. I was un-Lojbanizing the name, suggesting that there just
>>might be someone whose name is similar to the name of a year. The full cmene
>>was {pavosorenanc}, which I split up into two words (much like I called 
>>myself
>>{la rabspir.} before I knew that {bs} wasn't allowed).
>
>I wish you'd mentioned that you were unlojbanizing, since the rest was 
>lojbanized, I asssume dthat this was meant to be too. Someone with a name 
>like that would, of course, in Lojban, have a quite distinctive name, 
>which was my point -- also rather obliquely. That is, {paVOson REnanc} is 
>not likely to be confused with {pavosoREnanc} -- or it should not be. The 
>use with {ca} or {ca'o} or whatever time operator you use would also count 
>against this (though it could mean "during the lifetime of" 
>apparently). I still don't see the point, unless it is just that using 
>year names is yucky, which I agree with (for all they are convenient).

I think more importantly, that the concern over confusing the possible 
referent of a name is no more likely than confusing the possible referent 
of a year number, given the large number of calendars in existence, with 
different year numberings.

The other issue is whether people want to have the option of using 
decomposable names. They aren't required, but the name of the language 
shows that they are in theory permitted for those that choose. Yes there 
is the possibility of overlapping with a non-decomposable name. My 
daughter's middle name was intentionally so chosen: "la ka trina" = 
"Katrina". Which also points out the names that aren't cmevla, allowing 
years to be expressed by "la pavosoremoi nancu"

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org