Subject: Re: [lojban] META : Who is everyone (and what are they saying)

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

G. Dyke scripsit:

> For
> instance, are these words specific to americans and those who've known them
> a long time or have they come about through lojban : "fiat" (as in "fiat
> decides..."),

No, that's been in the language (in the sense of an authoritative even if
arbitrary decision) since 1631.

> "glorking", "glorkjunkied" (aha! the latter two are related),

That comes from a sentence devised by David Moser (aka Mo Dawei) in 1980:
"This gubblick [sentence] contains many nonsklarkish English [nonstandard]
flutzpahs [words], but the overall pluggandisp [meaning] can be glorked
[comprehended] from context".

> Why do some people support and reject {gumri} ? 

It's not a standard part of the language any more (since 1989 or so) but
some people feel nostalgic about it.

-- 
John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan [email-masked]
Please leave your values | Check your assumptions. In fact,
at the front desk. | check your assumptions at the door.
--sign in Paris hotel | --Miles Vorkosigan