Subject: Re: [lojban] 2 letter code?

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:39:33 -0400

Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> As far as I can tell, they've posted very few indeed:
> 
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags

All the 2-letter codes of ISO 639 and the 3-letter codes of ISO 639-2,
with optional ISO 3166 country code suffixes for national variants, are
automatically registered. That's quite a lot: ISO 639-2 specifies
over 400 languages. Only the obscurities need to be explicitly
registered with IANA.

> What's the tag for English under the same scheme?

en, with national variants en-us, en-ca, en-gb, en-au, en-nz, en-ie,
<span lang="en-th">etcetera etcetera etcetera.</span>;
and registered variant en-scouse (the way they talk on
Merseyside).

"Art", BTW, is an ISO 639-2 tag for "Artificial languages (other)",
that is, excluding Esperanto (esp) and a few others.

-- 
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the boots of ascension. \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel