Subject: Re: [lojban] META : Who is everyone (and what are they saying)

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:04:14 -0700 (PDT)

cu'u la lojbab.

>Before the recent controversy, I would have said "ckaji le ka daplu" (no
>man is characterized by island-ness) but I'm not sure how this fits with
>the hardliner ka.

*sigh* It fits perfectly, and the point of the whole debate was to make
sure it does. ckaji leka daplu = ckaji leka ce'u daplu.

That you should try simsa, dunli, or mintu is actually a good outcome,
as far as I'm concerned, not a bad one. After all, though humans are
connected by society, they are not physically contiguous the way the
mainland is. The point of the saying is that people can *think* they are
islands, but in a social sense. In a trivially spatial sense, of course we
are still islands. And Lojban forces you to think about what is actually
being meant.

"Guns don't kill people; people kill people" doesn't work as a rhetorical
figure in Lojban. (The reason why is left as an exercise.) I like that.

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing I REJECT {gumri}
[email-masked] (Lojban Wiki, Resurrected Gismu)