Subject: Re: [lojban] META : Who is everyone (and what are they saying)

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:00:44

I agree with And that there's nothing wrong with being
metaphorical in Lojban. I also agree with Pierre that
a good Lojban metaphor must inescapably take into account
all places of the selbri. We can't avoid the fact that Lojban
selbri, with all their satellite places, have usually much
more restricted meanings than the English keywords associated
with them, and the metaphor can only be based on the Lojban
meaning, not on the English keyword. In this case perhaps we
can say that {no prenu cu daplu loi jikca loi naljikca}.

As for {ckaji le ka daplu}, can something that is not daplu
have the property of being daplu? I can't see any difference
between {ko'a daplu} and {ko'a ckaji le ka ce'u daplu}.

As for {simsa lo daplu}, I don't see anything wrong with it,
except that it is no longer a metaphor, it is a simile, as
would be "no man is like an island" in English. A somewhat
different (and usually weaker) figure of speech.

Probably pe'a-ists will want to say {no prenu cu danlu pe'a},
but that sort of kills the effect that a good metaphor has.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp