Subject: Re: Talking about the language versus using it

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 03:47:58 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <lojbab@l...> wrote:
> At 01:50 AM 9/20/01 +0000, thinkit8@l... wrote:
> >I've noticed a distinction forming between yahoo groups "jbosnu"
> >and "lojban", in that "lojban" tends to have a lot of English-
> >language talking about lojban and how to fix it. While jbosnu is
> >expressedly for talking in lojban about other things. Initially, I
> >wanted to talk about the problems with lojban in the lojban
> >language. But now I see that doing so is not adding greatly to
> >records of lojban usage.
> 
> I archive all postings to either list, so they will be preserved as 
long as 
> my computer files are, at least. But if you want a larger audience 
and a 
> response to your postings in Lojban on any subject (including 
Lojban), you 
> will more likely get it on the main list.

agreed, but there's been quite a bit of churn (in English) about 
issues related to the language itself in the "lojban" group. i may 
end up just posting to both.

> > How often do we complain in English about
> >words that don't make sense in English? We'll end up having gismu
> >like:
> >
> >"flame: x1 insults x2's use of word x3 in language x4 because x1
> >thinks the word doesn't deserve to be in language x4."
> >
> >So, before, I felt guilty using English to talk about lojban. 
Now, I
> >feel guilty using lojban to talk about lojban. But it's great 
seeing
> >yahoo group "lojban-beginners", how the newer people are really
> >trying to use the language. Ok, that's just my small opinion, in
> >English, about lojban :).
> 
> Any reason you couldn't have said the above in Lojban? (The 
definition of 
> "flame" might have been tricky, of course).

.u'i i suppose i could have.

> lojbab
> --
> lojbab lojbab@l...
> Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
> 2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-
385-0273
> Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: 
http://www.lojban.org