Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: ro prenu na ku daplu

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:42:09 +0100

Lojbab:
#>At this stage I think that type 4 fuhivla and string-abbreviating 
#>experimental
#>cmavo are our best hope, but if I could rewrite history I would have made
#>all gismu CCV and used any C as lujvo glue (CCV-C-CCV).
#
#You may want to check out Rex May's loglang Ceqli,
#http://www.geocities.com/ceqli/ 
#since he came to a similar conclusion, though I don't know where he went 
#with it (he discusses it on alt.lang.artificial).  

I'll take another look with an eye to this issue. But I think Ceqli has
evolved away from loglanhood.

#Of course that sort of 
l#ujvo is anti-Zipfean, since it is longer than the metaphor that it 
#supposedly compresses.

Not really. The difference between lujvo and tanru is not frequency but
that the lujvo meaning is fixed and more specific. Hence it is right and
proper that the greater specificity be marked by the presence of
glue. Also, allowing multiple glue markers allows for multiple lujvo
from the same tanru.

As for general strategies of shortening forms whose length is excessive
relative to their frequency, I've been discussing these in other messages.

--And.