Subject: Re: [lojban] zipf computations & experimental cmavo

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:57:34 -0400

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:09:02PM -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2001 10:57, And Rosta wrote:
> > There still remains the question of how to zipf down long lujvo whose
> > syllablecount is excessive relative to their frequency, but Type IV fuhivla
> > might provide a solution here.
> 
> I agree (e.g. noltrube'a -> noltube, not that I think we should actually 
> shorten noltrube'a). The hard part (or one of the hard parts) about zipfing 
> lujvo is getting a representative sample of usage. Most of us have occasion 
> to use {la'edi'u} in whatever we write about; not many of us will need 
> {glaukysedyterjo'e}, but if we do need to talk about them, we will use the 
> word a lot in one article.
> 
> (owlhead joint: a device that can turn through at least a complete circle, 
> but not rotate indefinitely, used for mounting radio antennas and the like)

If you're writing an article about owlhead joints, you should do yourself a
favor and introduce the word with {goi GSJ}. There's no need for extra cmavo
there.

As for {la'edi'u}, I can see a cmavo like {lai'u} arising.
-- 
la rab.spir
noi sarji ZG