Subject: Re: periodic hexadecimal reminder

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 06:21:50 -0000

i'll touch on both here...

--- In lojban@y..., Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@d...> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:10:24AM -0400, Invent Yourself wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 thinkit8@l... wrote:
> > 
> > > this is just a post to remind everyone that hexadecimal is the
> > > future, and lojban is by default hexadecimal. rafsi will be 
assigned
> > > for dau-vai, and "ju'u dau" will be used for references to the 
old
> > > way of doing things.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > What are the benefits of hex that outweigh the enormous, trillion 
dollar
> > investment in decimal infrastructure?

this is a lojban group. we aim to replace enormous, trillion dollar 
investments in (mainly) english infrastucture. using hex is minor 
compared to this task. and as for the benefits...it's the attunement 
to logic that makes powers of 2 more useful.

> Especially since 16 isn't as divisible as either 12 or 60, and hence
> could easily be argued to be inferior to both of those.
> 
> -Robin

everything you mentioned is already in use. how many ounces in a 
pound? inches in a foot? seconds in a minute? just because we use 
hex for most things doesn't mean other bases can't be used.

> -- 
> http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
> le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te 
pilno
> je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/