Subject: Re: [lojban] zipf computations & experimental cmavo

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:57:08 -0400

Rob Speer wrote:

> (For those who don't see the problem with symmetry: names are assignable.
> Pro-sumti are assignable. What gets assigned if you say {la djan. goi ko'a}?)

If you know what ko'a means, then la djan. is defined to mean whatever
ko'a means.
If you know what la djan. means, then ko'a is defined to mean whatever
la djan. means.
If you don't know what either means, then they mean the same, but *what*
they mean will arrive in future.
If you know what both mean, and they already mean the same thing, the
goi-phrase is unnecessary.
If you know what both mean, and they mean different things, *bzzzzzt*,
semantic error.

This is called "unification" in Prolog.

-- 
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the boots of ascension. \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel