Subject: more about ce'u and functions

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 01:37:47

Let's consider two predicates, broda and brode, with the
same extensions but different intensions, i.e. two different
predicates such that {roda rode zo'u go da de broda gi da de brode}.

Now hopefully we will all agree that {le du'u ko'a broda ko'e}
and {le du'u ko'a brode ko'e} are two different propositions
(which happen to have the same truth value), with different
meaning. On the other hand, {le broda be ko'e} and
{le brode be ko'e} both have the same referent (namely ko'a,
if {ko'a broda ko'e}).

Now then, {le du'u makau broda ce'u} and {le du'u makau brode ce'u}
are different functions into propositions: they each give a different
proposition for any given value of ce'u.

What about {le broda be ce'u} and {le brode be ce'u}, assuming
this is a valid way of using {ce'u} (I don't think it is, but
for the sake of argument)? Both give the same values for any given
value of ce'u. Do the two expressions refer to the same function,
the way that both {le broda} and {le brode} refer to the same
object?

If they both refer to the same function, then this is clearly
not what we normally want as a te frica, since what we want
there is the intension, not the extension.

If they refer to different functions, this is a further violation
of the usual meaning of {le}, which is normally extensional.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp