Subject: Re: [lojban] Set of answers encore

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:37:28 +0100

>>> <[email-masked]> 09/26/01 07:50pm >>>
[email-masked] writes:
#> What's a taxicab rejoinder?
# One you think of in the taxicab on the way home that would have been 
#devastating to your opponent had you thought of it when you were in the 
#debate.

Oh right. Us in Britain think of taxicab rejoinders on the bus home.

The discussion has drifted away from qkau in interesting ways to which
I currently have nothing more to add.

So let me return to where the intensional/extensional digression
began.

#<I accept John's typically clear Cicero/Tully example.>
#"John knows that Cicero is a great Roman orator." Suppose so.
#"Tully is Cicero" Usually regarded as a fact on a vaiety of historical 
#grounds but unknown, suppose to John (or at least not something he has 
#considered along with his thought about Cicero)
#"John knows that Tully is a great Roman orator" No reason so far to thinkso 
#and tests may very well show that he does not even believe it (he thinks 
#Tully was the Emperor after Caligula, the one who mumbled and stuttered -- 
#Derek Jacoby in the movie).
#"Of Tully, John believes that he was a great Roman orator" Iffy, but 
#probably true on the evidence above.
#"There is a proposition p such that p is true just in case Tully is a great 
#Roman orator and John believes that p" Safe as houses.
#
#This is pretty clearly intensional-extensional stuff, not restricted to 
#epistemic predicates.  

You objected to my "John knows that da is extension of tu'odu'u ce'u klama"
on the grounds that he may not have had this thought. E.g. he might know
that A and B went and that C and D did not go, and that nobody else could
have gone, but he may not have realized that, lo and behold, he knows who
went.

So I will instead offer:

"da zo'u There is a proposition p such that p is true just in case da is
extension of tu'odu'u ce'u klama kei and John believes that p"

--And.