Subject: RE: [lojban] The Pleasures of goi (was: zipf computations & experimentalcmavo

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:19:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Craig wrote:

> >da'o wipes all variables, so we need a way to reassign just one, right?
>
> How about an experimental cmavo? I propose goi'a, which functions as you are
> claiming goi should.

Well, how about using goi for always reassignment, and no'u for the
alternative.

ko'a goi la fred. li'o .i ko'a goi la djan.
A is Fred. ... Now A is John. (Fred is not John, A has new meaning.)

ko'a goi la fred. li'o .i ko'a no'uji'a la djan.
A is Fred. ... A also is John, lo, John is Fred!

Since no'u doesn't reassign ko'a, but explains it, this is equal to
offering a new fact about ko'a as it exists.

> >How often are private replies sent? And if you are sending private
> >material it behooves you, the one at risk of embarrassment, to protect
> >yourself by double-checking the mail address.
>
> After my HTML mail fiasco (when I tried to ask how to say "fractal" in
> lojban) I got some personal flames that the list would not have wanted to
> see. I have also been sent and have sent replies that it was not necessary
> to send to everyone - less bad then the flames would have been, though.

Yes, the onus should be on the sender, and not on the rest of us.

-- 
It's said that Mullah Omar has met two non-Muslims in his life. Others say
even that's not true.

Sami ul-Haq, Osama bin Laden's closest friend in Pakistan, runs the
"University for the Education of Truth," a fundamentalist institution that
educated and trained nine out of the Taliban's top 10 leaders.