Subject: Re: [lojban] Dumb answers to good questions

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:08:13 +0200

la xod. cusku di'e

> > If that were possible, why wouldn't it be desirable? If
Sapir-Whorf is
> > correct, Lojban is supposed *expand* thought, and if it's limited
in
> > any way, then its not fulfilling its function as well as it could.
If
> > Lojban were simply a different whorfian classification of the
world,
> > what would be the point?
>
>
> Are you under the impression the Lojban is supposed to "test" the SW
> hypothesis in the aggressive, disproval sense of the word, meaning
that
> it's supposed to be a super-language that bypasses SW limitations by
> assimilating all terrestrial expression? I'm not attacking that
idea, it's
> just one I never considered before.

I'm not sure exactly how Lojban is supposed to test SW, but I was
under the impression that if SW is correct, Lojban would be found to
expand thought, not be limited in arbitrary ways. I don't think that
it's actually possible for Lojban to assimilate all possible whorfian
world-views (assuming that they exist), but whenever I find a new one,
I sure want to try to express it in Lojban (and as simply and
naturally as possible). Unfortunately, there's the problem that it's
not completely clear exactly what type of thing is a whorfian
world-view.

mu'o mi'e .adam.