Subject: Re: [lojban] periodic hexadecimal reminder

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:09:02 +0200

James F. Carter wrote:

> Drifting off topic again: in heptal or duodecimal or decimal or hex
or
> whatever, how do you write the radix? 10, of course. The solution
I used
> in the proprietary radix extension was to have the user specify
radix-1,
> that is, 6 -> heptal, f -> hex, 9 -> decimal, etc.

Since the number one is the only thing that all radices have in
common, you can write heptal "pasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipa",
hex as
"pasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipa
su'ipasu'ipasu'ipasu'ipa", etc. If you can be sure that a single digit
is unambiguous (I've seen T and E used for the extra digits in
duodecimal, though in Lojban this probably won't be a problem up to
hex), then you could use (radix-1)+1.

mu'o mi'e .adam.