Subject: Re: periodic hexadecimal reminder

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:08:10 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Rob Speer <rob@t...> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 06:02:34PM -0400, Craig wrote:
> > No, you could use radix-1. Radix-1+1 = radix, and is always pano. 
Also, once
> > you get to trying to say base 17 lojban has problems.
> 
> Once you get to base 17, you have to use a different base to talk 
about the
> digits _anyway_, so express the radix in that base.
> 
> The only problem I see with bases 11-16 in Lojban is that there's 
no way (yet)
> to abbreviate dau-vai, as the digits 0-9 abbreviate no-so. Though 
for base 12
> (if I remember the digits right) * could be 'dau' and # could 
be 'fei'. This
> also provides names for these characters (daubu, feibu). But are 
there 4
> arbitrary characters left for the other digits? (Remember, A-F are 
taken.)
> -- 
> la rab.spir
> noi sarji zo gumri
> de'i li 11*9 ju'u feisu'ipa

while we're at it, we should make sure numbers don't look like 
letters (5 and S), and aren't rotations of others (6 and 9). ah, but 
it's so tiring fighting tradition and history. anyway, what's wrong 
with A-F? caps are only used in cmene, and can't be used for an 
entire word--so their use in lojban should be unambiguous.