Subject: RE: [lojban] periodic hexadecimal reminder

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:12:00 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Craig wrote:

> Seeing as lojban has already chosen to use a higher base than would be
> neutral, why not go to hex? I had felt that decimal was neutral, though I
> had not known how ancient Egypt counted, but I like higher bases because
> when you have to say out every digit as in lojban they are much less
> verbose. My pgp key id in Lojban: in hex it is mugaicidaupaxeizevo, but in
> decimal it is pamuvozeciparezemuxa - 8 vs 10 syllables. And the difference
> is greater with larger numbers.

Obviously then, we should use base 64.

Or maybe base 85?

Hrm. Or possibly base 128, with huffman compression?

Ah!

Base 1343!

We can use all the gismu, in alphabetical order, as digits!

Wait. We can use all the cmavo, too!

So, base 1938!

Where do you draw the line, and why is your line better?

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose