Subject: le gurni .e le jifygurni

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 20:57:32 -0400

I'd like to come up with Lojban names for some grains and other seeds which 
are eaten like grains but aren't:

Spelt, clearly, is maxrnspelta. (It is Triticum spelta, and {spelta} by 
itself is a slinku'i.)

Kamut: The word is Egyptian, but the scientific name is Triticum polonicum. 
Should it be misrymaxri, or something else?

Buckwheat belongs to the family Polygonaceae, which has its own gismu, so I 
made up the fu'ivla {xubrsoba}. Or is {xubrkaca} better?

Quinoa belongs to the family Chenopodiaceae, whose English name, "goosefoot", 
means the same as the Greek. It is Chenopodium quinoa. Other members of the 
family are Atriplex (lots of species, and I read about A. patula in 
Scientific American years ago), Beta (beet), Salsola (which might be called 
{sodnyspa}; there's a S. kali and a S. soda), and Spinacia (spinach).

Amaranth is in the same genus (Amaranthus) as pigweed and lamb's quarters. It 
is the typical member of its family, Amaranthaceae. I didn't see any other 
familiar species.

phma