Subject: RE: [lojban] The Pleasures of goi (was: zipf computations & experimental cmavo

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 05:26:12 -0400

At 01:39 AM 9/30/01 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
>The possibility of goi-less ko'a is involved in only one of three key
>arguments for asymmetric goi. The other arguments are (i) that no'u
>serves the function of woldemarian symmetric goi, and (ii) that ko'a
>may already have a referent, which you want to assign to a cmene, and
>this must be distinguishable from assigning the referent of a cmene
>to a recycled ko'a.

I think i) is dealt with by recognizing that using goi is a kind of 
metalinguistic speech act. One is not merely casually noting what ko'a 
means; one is actively defining it (implicit ca'e?) and more or less 
insisting it be used with that definition; ii) is not something we designed 
ko'a to be used for, if I understand what you mean by it. If I wanted to 
assign a cmene, I would not use goi, but rather ko'a noi se cmene [name] 
(or ne me'e [name])

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org