Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: noxemol ce'u

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:28:39 +0100

>>> <[email-masked]> 09/30/01 03:04pm >>>
[email-masked] writes:
#<x1 is a function from x2 to x3>
#> "da poi ro de ke'a se -function ro mamta be ro nei"
#> 
#something x such that every y is (in the?) the range of the function x with 
#domain all the mothers of all the every y.  
#
#I'm not sure this describes a function at all. Is y supposed to be the range 
#of the function? If so, then there are a number of functions here, one for 
#each value of y. So we suppose that y is just a member of the range, in 
#which case what is the value for y -- all the mothers of all the y's. That 
#looks more like the domain/counterrange, rather than the value for a single 
#member. If it is the value then this is clearly not the function I have in 
#mind (and I worry a bit about the {ro ro de} involved) . I still think that 
#what is intended is just {da poi [ke'a] function rode le mamta be de} or 
#{function le romei le mamta romei}, if just giving range and domain are 
#enough. And, of course, I think that {le mamta be ce'u} does that nicely 
#(notice that, given certain assumptions, this would follow out of the 
#descriptions given earlier).

Well hey, that was only my guess at how you'd use the lujvo to say
"the mother-of function": I see now that unresolved confusion about
which gadri/quantifiers to use with nei/no'a may have caused a
problem, so rephrase to:

"da poi ro de ke'a se -function ro mamta be de"

= "something x such that x is a function from every y to every mother ofy"

And tinker with it until it satisfies you.

If you're talking about the value rather than the function, then I'd have
thought ordinary bogstandard "LE mamta be ko'a" does the job. 

--And.