Subject: Re: [lojban] fancu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:02:10 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2001 10:24:55 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Will {fancu} do?

Just fine; no wonder I couldn't find it on any lujvo list.

<I'm never sure what to do with its x4. The way I would use it
(or at least how I would have before this discussion) is:>

I suppose x4 is just the formula that defines the function, which might well 
have another name, so "area of a circle" would be a function and the x4 
would be "pi r squared" appropriately written out. Of course if the standard 
way of referring to a function just is its definition then x4 is sorta 
useless.

<le du'u makau mamta ce'u cu fancu loi danlu loi fetsi [zi'o]
Who their mothers are is a function from animals to females.
But I suppose pc would disapprove>

Indeed he would: fill in the places and what do you get: {le du'u la elizabef 
mamta la djan}, a proposition. So {la du'u makau mamta ce'u} is a function 
from a pair of things, the first female, the second any animal, to a 
proposition. Not what is wanted. And I don't see how anything that starts 
out {le du'u} is going to end up anywhere else.