Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: possible A-F...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:28:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/2001 8:20:01 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Part of the fun of reading pc is that you have to solve the
> riddles before you can understand him (also you have to learn
> to put up with the put downs, but that's another story).
> 

Uhhh, thanks? I would say that the hard part is that he doesn't use 
emoticons, on the general principle that "if they don't get a joke, f*k 'em" 
(stars for antipodean with the weird censor).

<What you call random hex numbers are his code for your
segments: 1,2,3 for the horizontal segments, A,B,C,D for
the vertical ones. The number 8 would be 1AB2CD3.
Your hex digits in his code would be: 1AC, A2C, B2C, A2D,
1BD3, 1A2D>

Yup. I am less sure where this came from. I remember it in a book on cute 
tricks with pocket calculators -- equations to put in to get it to swear when 
turned updide down and the like -- and presented there as something everybody 
knew (i.e., not explained at all). That puts it around the time that pocket 
calculators became cheap and common -- early 60's again?