Subject: Re: possible A-F...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:33:44 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., pycyn@a... wrote:
> Thanks. With the better spacing and rab spir's guide, I now see 
what you 
> meant. Sorry I don't use monospace -- I don't seem even to have it 
as an 
> option.
> 
> It does seem odd that a hex fan would not know how to count through 
the 
> digits, though I don't know how standard the count is. I learned 
it in the 
> 60's so it is not exactly novel, though capitalizing zen is 
probably left 
> over from philosophy or duodecimalism.
> 
> Also odd that you use the 7-bar matrix but can't describe figures 
in it: 
> horizontals from the top 1-2-3, verticlas left-to-right, top to 
bottom A,B, 
> C, D.

hmm, a 7-bit number would be much more efficient.

> The competitors to hex are not binary and quartenary by decimal and 
> duodecimal and, rationality notwithstanding, decimal wins hands 
down. 
> Rationality coming into play would have duodecimal winning. Hex 
comes after 
> 60, probably.

you give no reason for decimal other than tradition, which is such a 
lazy and meaningless defense. i've given the reason for hexadecimal--
it is a power of 2.