Subject: Re: [lojban] Set of answers encore

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:26:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/2001 5:11:43 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> pc:
> > [email-masked] writes: 
> > "da zo'u There is a proposition p such that p is true just in case da 
> is 
> > extension of tu'odu'u ce'u klama kei and John believes that p" 
> > 
> > Well, in one sense it is hard to complain about this, since it covers 
> > the extension/intension problem nicely. I am now off again worrying 
> > about what soert of thing the extension of {tu'o du'u ce'u klama kei} 
> > is, as a result of a discussion on some other topic. 
> 

My extreme bad! This turns out to be, on examination, true so long as John 
has one true belief and one false one, regardless of what the beliefs are 
about. If da is the extension of whatever then this claim and the true 
belief are both true, so the one just in case the other. so there is one true 
just in case the extension-claim is. On the othre hand, if the extension 
claim is false, then it iff the false belief is true, so something iff the 
extension claim. But the extension claim is either true or false and on 
either option, there is something John believes and that is true iff the 
extension claim is. So, the claim holds absolutely. The joys of a logical 
language!