Subject: [lojban] Re: periodic hexadecimal reminder

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:07:12 +0100

>>> <[email-masked]> 10/02/01 08:41pm >>>
#However, I like the idea of being able to use dau - vai in 
#the base directly: This makes base two is "ju'i re"; base 
#five, "mu"; base eight, "bi"; base ten, "dau"; base 
#twelve, "gai"; base sixteen, we don't have one. Since 
#sixteen is the highest (relataively) common base (because 
#of computers), I'd like to propose that a single cmavo be 
#added which can be used as an R-expression for "ju'i" that 
#indicates base sixteen. Considering that in base ten, 
#sixteen is expressed as paxa. I've thought of using pa'a or 
#xa'a, for this purpose. Since pa'a is already assigned that 
#would leave xa'a as my suggestion.

On the whole I think it is best to choose an experimental
form that is CVVV and that has had no other meaning
previously proposed for it. e.g. {pa'ai}. Also, grammar
change would be minimized by putting it in PA.

#There is one other mechanism I would like to see considered: 
#a way to assign a sticky base, so that one could define a 
#base at the beginning of a document or section, and have 
#the later numbers interpreted as the base in question. 
#Since, this wouldn't be a common operation, I don't think 
#that a cmavo needs to be assigned for that purpose.

A general UI for stickiness would do the job and be more
multifunctional.

--And.