Subject: Re: [lojban] translation exercise

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 16:44:13

>"Fortunately, the madman was captured before he murdered someone"

I think maybe:

i'e le fenki cu se kavbu pu ro nu fy catra da

Of course that doesn't say that he didn't murder anyone _after_
he was captured, but does the English really say that, or just
implicates it? (Someone caught presumably can't murder.)
I'm counting on {ro} having no existential import.

Compare with:

"Fortunately, the madman was captured before he died"

That doesn't say that he didn't die, because capturing someone
does not in general prevent them from dying.

So, I think that the information given is that he didn't murder
anyone before he was captured, and the implication is that he
didn't murder anyone after having been captured (and also that
had he not been captured he might have.)

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp