Subject: "knowledge as to who saw who" readings

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 01:42:08 +0100

"John knows who saw who", or "John has knowledge as to who saw who" 
(and likewise "has an opinion as to") seems to cover three different 
sorts of scenario. (Even if the English turns out not to, we still 
will want to be able to distinguish them in Lojban.)

Context: Bill saw Anne and Anne saw Bill and nobody else saw anybody
else.

Scenarios:
1. John knows Bill saw Anne.
2. John knows Bill saw Anne and Anne saw Bill.
3. John knows Bill saw Anne and Anne saw Bill and nobody else saw anybody
else.

Here is how I'd render these using the 'extension-claim' analysis, which
is part of a programme to find logically explicit formulae that don't
treat questions as primitives. 

EC1. da zo'u la djon djuno tu'odu'u da cmima de poi ke'a -extension
tu'odu'u ce'u viska ce'u

EC2. ro da poi ke'a cmima de poi ke'a -extension tu'odu'u ce'u viska ce'u
zo'u la djon djuno tu'odu'u da cmima de 

EC3. da zo'u la djon djuno tu'odu'u da -extension tu'odu'u ce'u viska ce'u

Question 1: Are there any (relevant) defects or problems with (1-3)?

Question 2: How does Jorge's lojban rendering of the set-of-answers 
analysis distinguish (1-3)?

Question 3: Are there any other distinct sorts of scenario that get expressed
by indirect questions (in "have knowledge as to" contexts)?

--And.