Subject: re: [lojban] patronymics

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:08:47 -0400

>This would only make sense if someone named "McDonald" was called
>"Son-of-Donald" in English.

>The sound of the name is much more important than the meaning in the
>vast majority of cases. For example, very few people named "McDonald"
>would actually be the son of Donald (since that would imply, in our
>modern world where surnames stay constant, that his father would be
>named "Donald McDonald".)

I was thinking in terms of languages where they do not, but it would indeed
fail with English. An example would be my former exchange-student 'sister' -
her last name was constant but she had a middle name of Abdullaenva because
her father was named Abdulla; thus she would have as her patronymic in
lojban would be serirabdUl. or serirabdulas. But if a McDonald can be named
Ronald, why not Donald?

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le balvi temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74