Subject: Re: [lojban] attitudinal story by Nora TLC

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 00:18:30 -0400

At 08:31 AM 10/7/01 +0200, G. Dyke wrote:
>**I am happy to say that I was able to read the attitudinal story at
>http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/lojbanbrochure/brochure/attit.html with
>near enough no difficulties andor help. I just happened to notice what I
>believe to be two mistakes.
>
>.i sei la mark. cusku se'u coi baza speni a'o le re do lifri le ka xamgu
>[Comment] Mark says, [end-comment] [Greetings] [future] [medium] spouse(s),
>[Hope] the two of-you experience the-property-of being-happy
>Mark said, "Hello, spouses-to-be. I hope both of you will be very happy."
>
>**shouldn't it be {leka gleki}? Or lenu gleki (you'll be happy to know, I'm
>just about to stat a thread about my version of NU)

Or it should have been translated as "good" rather than "happy".

>.i sei la pam. cusku se'u e'o ko selfu le traji xamgu ckafi le baza speni
>fi'o selpleji mi
>[Comment] Pam says, [end-comment] [Petition] [You-imperative] serve the
>(superlatively good) coffee to-the [future] [medium] spouse with-payment me.
>Pam said, "One Jamaica Blue for the lovebirds here, on my tab."
>
>**le selpleji is the payee, in this case the waiter or the kafybarja... fi'o
>pleji mi was used correctly by rick two sentences previous

As translated, the two sentences are indeed different. The first (fi'o 
pleji mi) says that I am paying. fi'o selpleji mi says that I am the 
payment, and the colloquial translation given is "on my tab". Nora says 
she thinks she should have said pleji mi for that one as well, but the 
existing text isn't entirely wrong (probably a tu'a mi" works better for 
"my tab") and we probably don't have record of discussing it back when it 
was written (someone could hunt the archives).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org