Subject: Re: [lojban] attitudinal story by Nora TLC

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 03:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

Needless to say, I will be correcting Nora's piece, whether or not it was
discussed at the time; I can hardly afford to have outright errors in the
introductory brochure. I'm changing xamgu to gleki, unless there's
protest, because I'm hard put to see how "I hope you experience goodness"
is *more* a propos than "I hope you experience happiness."

And of course {fi'o selpleji} will become {fi'o pleji}. I may be too
opinionated at times for my own good, but to incorporate as literal-minded
and unimaginative a rendering of "on my tab" as {fi'o selpleji tu'a mi} is
more than I can bear.

Not that I find {fi'o pleji} defensible in the first place. I mean,
really:

{ko pinxe pa ckafi fi'o pleji mi}
{ko pinxe pa ckafi poi ve pleji mi}

Is there *any* circumstance in which the former is preferable to the
latter? Unless you feel you really must translate English prepositions
with Lojban sumti tcita; but if I wanted English prepositions, I know
where to find them...

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Upon completing His outburst, God fell silent, standing quietly at the
podium for several moments. Then, witnesses reported, God's shoulders
began to shake, and He wept.
[http://www.theonion.com/onion3734/god_clarifies_dont_kill.html]

Nick Nicholas. [email-masked] http://www.opoudjis.net