Subject: le me ge'o ly fancu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:18:56 EDT

A function is a projection from one set (domain) ontoanother (range), such 
that corresponding to each member of the first set thereis exactly one member 
of the second.  Todescribe function it is necessary only to tell what the 
sets are and how themembers of the second set are related to the first.  To 
name a function it is usual to take the significant part ofthis relation 
information and put into it a place for the argument (member ofthe first 
set).  When this place isfilled with the name of such a member, the whole is 
a name of the member of thesecond set, the value.  Strictlyspeaking, 
functions may be of any adicity -- one-place (like successor),two-place (like 
sum), and so on.  Sothere may be need for several place markers in a name, 
though strictly the placesare taken together in an ordered whatever-tuple as 
one argument.  In the Lojban expressions below, we willshow only one place 
with the understanding that it may stand for many.
In Lojban, the marker for the argument place is the memberof KOhA {ce'u}.  
Thus we get thefollowing sorts of function  at least  (exclusive of MEX 
functions, which follow aslightly different path). 
Form                     Domain          Range                      {ko'a} 
example                  
le du'u ce'u broda  Things           Propositions              le du'u ko'a 
broda           
le ni ce'u broda      Things           numbers                    le ni ko'a 
broda                
le nu ce'u broda     Things           events                        le nu 
ko’a broda          
le ka ce’u broda     things            2ndorder properties    le ka ko’a 
broda            
le broda be ce’u     things            things                         le 
broda be ko’a