Subject: Re: [lojban] metre for hamlet

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:18:17

>From: "G. Dyke" <[email-masked]>
li'o
>Nick has said that he could not really approve of any translation of Hamlet
>that did not scan and I kind of agree.

i think it will be hard enough to try to convey 1/10th of the English 
meaning without any additional constraints. surely that was a joke!

li'o
>my question is
>this: to what extent should le Lojban metre of hamlet follow that of the
>English?
>

i have decided counting stresses & not feet is more appropriate
for Lojban poetics. (but probably prose is best for a translation.)
however, if you wish to group the lines in some fashion, i have
been happy in the past with alternating 4 & 2 -stress lines, so
perhaps this can be considered an indigenous meter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"The time when the Bill of Rights, or the providing of historical context or 
satire, is most precious and most necessary is always when it is being 
deprecated as too dangerous, irrelevant or inappropriate at the present 
time." --Alexander Cockburn

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp